Saturday, January 22, 2011

Ah Hah Moments and Their Close Relative, the "Doh!"

Everybody loves when they have one of those "Ah Hah!" moments. Some people may call it something different, but when you are able to put two and two together and get a grasp on something it can be very rewarding.
On the other hand, these are closely related to the "Doh!" moments, when you feel rather stupid for not knowing or not being able to remember something.  Some of you who know me probably know how much I love game shows. While Wheel of Fortune isn't one of my favorites it does provide great examples of each!

Ah Hah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMzNeTVCNIM&feature=related

Doh!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLdZ9AhPCEQ

No matter which of one of these paths you take to realizing something, to me it seems like all that matters is that you do know the answer.

The first case in Athletic Training that I can personally remember something like this happened over the span of my first fall semester at Memphis and culminating at a conference I was attending that Winter. At first, I had my "Ah Hah" moment but I was quickly hit with my "Doh!" moment.

All throughout fall baseball season, I kept noticing a lot of my athletes were coming in with complaints of shoulder pain.  Being a freshly certified trainer, I was more than happy to get to practice all of my shoulder special tests. (For those of you reading who may not be an AT, there are a LOT of shoulder examinations)  After a few lengthy exams resulting in not a lot of clear answers, I was admittedly frustrated. I knew that something was causing these athletes to have repeated cases of impingement and rotator cuff tendonitis, but I couldn't figure it out.  One day during treatment, 3 of my pitchers were in for treatment when I realized they all looked a lot alike.  Rounded shoulders? check.  Forward Head? Check.  Tight Pectoralis groups? check.  I thought that I had discovered this major combination of postural conditions that would lead to shoulder pain and injury. Now maybe I wasn't paying attention as well as I should have back in Upper Extremity Eval class one day because it turns out I was simply noticing the very common "Upper Cross Syndrome".  When I saw a presentation on this syndrome that Winter, I thought to myself "Not as brilliant as you thought? Huh Scott?".  But as Lee Corso would say... Not so fast my friend!  While I did not immediately recognize a phenomenon first described in 1979, I recognized common signs, symptoms and conditions and then used what I knew to make a logical and educated conclusion about the cause of our team's problem.    We were able to treat the effected athletes and begin a preventative course of action for the rest of the team.  Most trainers and coaches will put that in our proverbial win column.

If you're working with or plan on working with athletes, you will probably see Upper Cross Syndrome. Obviously, I know baseball the best and it can cause a lot of negative effects in the rotator cuff in those athletes.  However, I became even more versed in it's causes, effects and treatments this summer working with a Titelist Performance Institute trainer. Upper Cross Syndrome adversely effects many golfers as well.  A quick search will also bring back results relating Upper Cross Syndrome to MMA Fighters, Swimmers and even a cause of headaches.  Even if you think you know about this condition, take a few minutes to research it and read about it's potential effects.  I was rather astonished at how much it plays a role in.

Have there been any times in your career or studies when you had a similar situation?
Know of a good treatment for Upper Cross Syndrome?
Please share in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I see Upper Cross in the gym all the time. It usually happens to the desk jockey that is trying to 'get huge'. The guys that bench three times a week and have no idea what a rotator cuff is. Enjoying the blog Scotty!

    ReplyDelete