Monday, February 7, 2011

Maybe someday...

I've had some computer issues lately, so I haven't had the chance to write.  Honestly, I wasn't sure what would be the next topic anyway, but last night I got some inspiration.  This inspiration came in the form of a rather ignorant and naiive girl. 

Before I go any further, here's just a few disclaimers.  I'm not trying to belittle any profession, especially those in healthcare.  Also, it bothers me when people use the internet as an outlet for their complaints so please don't confuse this for a complaint.  I'm simply trying to promote this great (but misunderstood and underappreciated) profession.

I was at a Super Bowl party at some friends' apartment.  One of them is a Personal Trainer who does a lot of great work helping people achieve their weight loss, strength training and personal health goals.  He used to be an Athletic Training student so he has a good appreciation and knowledge of what it is an ATC does.  We were having a pretty uneventful party but one of the neighbors stopped by and changed that.  In casual, standard conversation we were talking about what we do.  Despite explaining my job multiple times, it was evident that it wasn't sinking in.  Having a Personal Trainer in the room didn't help because apparently the word "trainer" being in two different professions was too complicated for her.  I really hope that the general public has a better idea of what the difference is between an ATC and a Personal Trainer. I have a pretty good feeling that they do because she claimed that to be a good "trainer" you had to have a six pack. She also claimed that because their couch and chair didn't match, my friends weren't good people.  Really, she made Snooki look like a genius.

Here's what the NATA has on their website concerning the topic: http://www.nata.org/sites/default/files/ATs_vs_PTs.pdf

I don't put much stock in what ignorant people say, think or do but this particular case just annoyed me.  However, I am all fired up again about promoting the profession, getting the general public to better understand it and maybe get more people interested in becoming an ATC.

I'm not the only one out there with these goals.  These students had a great idea: http://www.hollandsentinel.com/news/x294821789/Hopes-athletic-training-project-wins-state-award
I really like what they did because it combined Athletic Training with something that is fresh, new and interesting to a lot of people.  Think about it.  A table at a basketball game with some students by a high school science project display board with some brochures about athletic training is not going to get much attention.  You put a Wii in there and now everyone wants to come have a turn. As the good folks at Guiness would say... "Brilliant!"

I've got a few ideas of my own, but other than this blog there's not much I can do about them yet. I'm interested in hearing some idea of my readers.  Please share in the comments.  Maybe together we can come up with some realistic good ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Ignorance is bliss. It is amazing what peoples perceptions are. As someone who can appreciate both sides of the athletic training & personal training fields, I also try to keep people informed. Even at the gym, my fellow personal trainers ask, "So how long have you been doing pt?" I quickly correct them in their ignorance. Liking the blog more & more Scotty. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete