Wednesday, February 23, 2011

One of the Weirdest Injuries... In the World

I'm fascinated with the British TV show, Top Gear.  I gave the American version a shot but it just fails in comparison.  The BBC hosts and all of the British idiosyncrasies and slang are what makes the show for me.  It's got all sorts of unique and bizarre little segments.  Today, I saw some more video about racing in Britain, but this one results in something far more interesting.

Take a look...


Big thanks to Jim Rome for showing a brief clip of this on The Final Burn today.  I love a good rant about how much he hates soccer or NASCAR or arrogant, overpaid athletes as much as anyone, but today we got to see a cyclist take a shard of wood through his calf.

My friends and I have been looking for all kinds of injury videos throughout the years.  There are a few good ones, but the majority are some dumb rednecks doing professional wrestling moves off of their roof or cell phone videos of stunts gone wrong.

If anyone knows of some other than the usual Willis McGahee and Kickboxing Tib/Fib Fracture video, I'd like to check them out and will share them here.

It's honestly a good way to practice some evaluation.  We often times have the advantage of seeing the injury occur.  Observing a mechanism of injury is invaluable in evaluating an injured person.  I have a lot of examples but one sticks out in my memory the most.  At one of baseball games I covered at Memphis, one of our players made a great diving play but injured his shoulder.  As I ran out in the freezing rain that was falling I realized that he did brace his dive with an outstretched hand (FOOSH!) and then fell in a manner that put his shoulder into flexion.  With this info, I quickly made sure that it wasn't dislocated and he didn't report any of the standard signs of a subluxation.  I was able to then move on to my next thought which was a posterior labrum, capsular sprain or rotator cuff injury.  At the time, he was in considerable pain so he was removed from the game.  For days, I continually evaluated this shoulder convinced that I would find a positive test for a labral tear.  Even our other ATC's and Physicians and an MRI couldn't find it.  We moved on with the treatment but a full recovery just didn't happen right away.  Later, an arthroscopy revealed a Kim Lesion, which I had never heard of.  However, it turned out that my initial suspicion of a labral pathology was correct.  It goes to show that seeing the MOI is invaluable and to trust your instincts!

No comments:

Post a Comment